Rua de Mouzinho da Silveira, n°67 a 71, 4050-420, Porto – Portugal
1905 – 1928
The origins of Peninsular date back to the end of the 19th century.
The “Typographia Peninsular” was created by Valentim Ribeiro Gonçalves Basto, born in Amarante, and nowadays became Peninsular – Stationery Shop & Graphic Arts. Peninsular’s first facilities were located in Rua de São Crispim, numbers 18 and 22, very close to the current Rua da Banharia, in the Historical Center of Porto.
A 58 pages pamphlet called “A minha defesa”, written by the author António Vasconcellos is the oldest existing archive that has been printed and produced by Peninsular in Rua de São Crispim’s facilities. In August 1902, a reference to the number 26 of this same street and to a secondary entrance to the facilities by Rua dos Mercadores is disclosed by a magazine called “Algazarra”, also printed in Peninsular.
It’s only until 1905 that the company Peninsular is officially created and registered. On this same year, the purchase of a new building in Rua do Mousinho (nowadays “Mouzinho”) da Silveira, numbers 67 to 71, represents the beginning of a new phase for the company, with the opening of a stationery shop, key part of the development of Peninsular.